Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Hong Kong, June 06’ I wish I lived the cultural revolution…



Mr Chen is a taxi driver in Hong Kong. This morning he drove me to Hung Hom train station and engaged the conversation by asking me what was my destination from there. Guangzhou, definitly sounded familiar to this man who was born there and flew to HK beginning of the 60’s to escape poverty. 40 years later he was telling me how he wished he had stayed there in order to make lots of money like his friends and relatives over there.
Looking at the financial success, some of his mainland chinese relatives built in the 80’ up to now, a terrible decade like the cultural revolution, appeared to him as something that would have been “worth” passing through.
“I used to pay for all when we were going to the restaurant, now they are the one who invite me”.

No comments: